Panasonic Lumix G100 Mirrorless Camera. Leaps and bounds above your average smartphone, the G100’s larger 20.3MP Micro Four Thirds sensor and included 12-32mm lens will capture rich imagery and detailed 4K video of your precious memories. This is all available in a lightweight and compact body that deserves a spot in your daily bag. Plus, simple connectivity with smartphones makes it easy to transfer, edit, and share your images with your friends and family.
Stills are solid with the G100, though video has some additional tech that will upgrade your recordings. The camera’s design is light enough to make one-handed shooting easy and the 3.0″ touchscreen is a full vari-angle design that flips out for selfies. OZO Audio then ensures sound is clear with automatic tracking to record your main subjects. This makes it also a great pick for general content creators and vloggers.
- Benefitting recording while walking, riding, or even just working in low-light conditions, 5-axis Hybrid I.S. is an optimized image stabilization system that works in conjunction with lens-based OIS to reduce the appearance of camera shake for smoother video footage and sharper stills.
- The rear 3.0″ 1.84m-dot LCD features a static touchscreen design for intuitive and responsive use and it has a free-angle design that benefits working from high, low, and front-facing (selfie) angles.
- Updated UI for vlogging includes a REC Frame Indicator, which presents a red border around the image frame, so you can easily confirm recording or not. Also, a Frame Marker overlay can be used to highlight the specific region of the frame that will show depending on the selected aspect ratio, which is perfect for direct output to social media platforms.
- Vertical video recording support is especially useful for video content intended to be viewed on a smartphone.
- Dedicated Video Selfie Mode can be set to automatically begin when the screen is rotated forward and will automatically highlight the main subject by optimizing depth of field, using face detection AF and AE settings, and automatically configuring the sound pickup range area depending on where the subject is.
- OZO Audio, by Nokia, has been integrated to enable spatial audio recording via three built-in microphones for improved richness and accuracy depending on where the desired sound is coming from. These three internal mics, which can be configured manually or automatically, also enable a unique Tracking setting, which works in conjunction with the detected angle of view of the lens and face recognition functions, for clearer audio during interviews, selfie videos, or in other speaking situations. For manual control, you can select Surround for recording within a wide range in all directions; Front, for recording subjects in front of the camera; and Back, for recording yourself or another subject behind the camera.
20.3MP Digital Live MOS Sensor and Venus Engine
UHD 4K Video Recording
Body Design and Wireless Connectivity
- A large OLED Live View Finder has a high 3.68m-dot resolution and 0.73x magnification for bright and clear eye-level composition.
- A larger means for image composition and playback, the 3.0″ 1.84m-dot rear LCD monitor has a free angle, tilt and swivel design to support viewing from a variety of angles. It is also a touchscreen, which permits intuitive menu navigation and settings control.
- DMW-BLG10PP lithium-ion battery offers approximately 270 shots per charge with the rear LCD, 250 shots per charge with the LVF, or approximately 900 shots per charge when working in the Power Save LVF mode. Additionally, the battery can be charged in-camera via USB or via AC power.
- A dedicated Send Images button on the top plate, along with built-in 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.2 Low Energy connectivity, allows for wireless image sharing and remote camera control from linked smartphones and tablets. Bluetooth LE also enables a constant connection to your mobile device, allowing for functions such as geolocation and automatic image transfer.
4K PHOTO Modes
Utilizing the G100’s video recording capabilities, a trio of still shooting modes are available for recording continuous 8MP stills at a 30-fps shooting rate:
- Burst: This mode will allow you to continuously record, making it ideal for instances where you need a fast frame rate in order to capture the best moment.
- Pre-Burst: This mode is ideal for times when you’re unsure of the critical moment to press the shutter button and will record images one second prior to and one second after pressing the shutter button in order to give you 60 frames to choose from.
- Burst (S/S): This mode most closely follows the video recording process, and allows you to playback your video, pause at the chosen moment, and use the shutter button to mark a chosen frame from the video and save it as a single 8MP frame.
Post Focus and Focus Stacking
Another attribute of the 4K capabilities is a unique focusing method called Post Focus. Working in conjunction with the contrast-detection focusing system and the intelligent Depth from Defocus (DFD) technology, Post Focus records imagery as a 4K MP4 file at 30 fps and shifts the specific point of focus throughout the burst shooting in order to offer a range of distinct focusing ranges to choose from. During playback, via the camera’s touchscreen, you can then tap the specific region of the image you wish to be in focus and an 8MP JPEG file will be created. Multiple individual files with different points of focus can be created from the original burst, and focusing assist functions can also be used to gain even more precise control over the specific in-focus region.
This technology also allows for producing focus stacked images in-camera to realize a greater depth of field, especially when photographing close-up subjects. In this mode, images are recorded and saved with varying points of focus and then blended together to gain an extended depth of field.
Depth-From-Defocus AF System
Other Camera Features
- Selfie Functions: Soft Skin Mode, Filter Effects, Background Control, Slimming Mode, Hands-Free Face Shutter Mode, and Self Timer.
- In-camera image editing is possible, and enables you to split video clips, resize and crop images, develop raw image files, and even retouch and remove objects from photos.